Saturday, May 2, 2009

Opinions ~ Movies

This is the first in a series of post about my opinions on just about everything. Movies, books, music, etc. This addition is movies that I don't like, or just don't care very much for.

(Note: I have not actually seen all these movies in their entirety.)


King Kong
Love triangles are weird enough. But when you have an overgrown mutant gorilla thrown in the triangle it's just plain gross.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Highly overfaned and slightly overrated.

Daniel Deronda
Daniel: "I'm in love with two girls, who should I marry? Wait-I'm Jewish? Okay I'll marry the Jewish girl."

Oklahoma
Please explain to me how a simple farm girl and a rough cowboy manage to sing soprano and bass in perfect high class accents.

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy
Living skeletons, Orlando Bloom with swoopy hair, really corny jokes, Octopus/human pirates and enough plot holes to be mistaken for Swiss cheese. And people are surprised that I don't love these movies.

Wurthuring Heights
I don't care if it's a classic. IT'S GROSS!!!

The Godfather
"Go to the mattresses" Wha-????

Titanic
Has anyone ever heard phrase "historically accurate" attached to this movie? I didn't think so.

The Tale of Despereaux
Hollywood insists on ruining sweet books. Drives me nuts

Ella Enchanted
Lillie and I loved this movie until they fell in love, then it was just mushy. We liked it better when they were at each other's throats, much more fun.

Loves's Unending Legacy
They killed Willie. What is their problem??????

The Phantom of the Opera
The singing is amazing. The story is atrocious.

Pride and Prejudice. (1940)
Producers: "I don't care it's a classic, let's change the story by making everybody 10 years older, and Lady Catherine nice in the end. Oh, and let's use left over costumes from Gone With The Wind."

Gone With the Wind
I have never seen this movie, but the plot summery on Wikipedia is enough of an explanation for me to keep it at arm's length.

All Arnold Schwarzenegger Movies
I will never understand how he got to be Governor of California.

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

LYDIA!

Oh my goodness. "ALL Arnold Schwarzeneger movies?" And you've never seen Gone With The Wind...

And Daniel Deronda was NOT in love with Gwendolyn!!!! He wasn't! Ok, so in the movie they like to make it look like he was sort of seduced by her, but they just added that for sensation. In the book he wasn't in love with her at all. He was sort of captivated by her in the beginning, but sort of scandalized too, by the way she gambled. Then when she married Grandcourt he meant to just be friendly but he soon found out that she needed help. Being Daniel of course he wanted to help her... and she didn't have anyone else! He never intended to run away with her like they make it appear in the movie. When she asked him if he would support her if she left Grandcourt and he said he would he meant just that. Remember later he offered her money? He never intended to marry her. He didn't love her. He loved Mirah. But, he was in an awkward position with Mirah. And she WAS a Jewess and therefore at the bottom of the social totem pole. Also, he didn't want her to feel obliged to him and marry him out of a sense of duty because he saved her life. He felt drawn to the Jewish people and wanted to help them too.
I love Daniel Deronda. :(

And Oklahoma? Are you saying that no one should write a musical about cowboys and farm girls because obviously there's no way cowboys and farm girls could sing well?

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

I didn't say that! I just said "Please explain to me." and I'm talking about the movie with the Marain Librarian lady in it. In the Hugh Jackman version they sing like they talk, I like it that way.

I only saw the movie Daniel Deronda and Daniel drove me up the wall. End of Story.

BTW I've seen enough Arnold Schwarzeneger movie to have a good sample.

To be honest, I've probably seen about 1/2 of Gone With the Wind from various glimpses on TV.

Mac said...

OK. Ummmmm, you already know that I don't agree with all you say, but this is a whole new level. I understand that it's your opinion, and it's your right to have an opinion. But at least give your opinions the respect of some logic and explanation on which to stand. A person CAN have an opinion about something without experiencing it or in this case without seeing the movie. If this is the case it would perhaps be better not to state your opinion so audaciously unless your willing to expound on your thoughts. I know your going for witty and funny but I think it would be more interesting and fun if you gave us more then just one sharp cynical opinion or thought.
I do like a couple o your takes. King Kong love triangle racks me up :) Tho I've never read the book The Tale of Despereaux wasn't that impressive to me. Poor Willie!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that they killed off Willie!!! I was SO mad! He was the best! Merrill and I had a long cry...;) (She liked Willie too). He was a good person in the movie!

Okay... as for Oklahoma.. I like it a lot! It cracks me up!! I'm not just saying this because I'm from Oklahoma either.;)

That's about it.. I pretty much argeed with everythink else you had to say=D

Elizabeth J. said...

Where's Jane Austen? Thanks for sharing the movie list.

Sadie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sadie said...

Sorry about that ^^.....I was just trying to say that maybe you could share some more reasons as to why you don't like these?

Anonymous said...

Please explain to me how a simple farm girl and a rough cowboy manage to sing soprano and bass in perfect high class accents. Honey, you have obviously never heard me sing!


Which might be a good thing...

Anonymous said...

P.S. Are you taking suggestions of material to review? And is this just sticking to media, or are your opinions going to cover all sorts of things?

(oh, and I just read the end of becca's comment.... "obviously there's no way cowboys and farm girls could sing well?"

Ow! :P )

Rebecca said...

Merrill I DID not mean that there is no way cowboys and farm girls could sing well. I was asking if that was what Lydia meant.

"The farmer and the cowman should be friends" *snicker*

Anonymous said...

I was just being fun :) And the cowman/farmer thing...wow...dumbness...

ElizabethK. said...

Willie's contract ran out.

I was really mad, too. :) He was the best person in those movies.

I haven't seen most of these, but I agree with almost everything. Sort of.

Rachel said...

Wow. That was hilarious, really. :D

Oklahoma~ a favorite 'cept for some weird dream sequence stuff.... and the Hugh Jackman one was the best, and so much funnier!

Love's...~ could NOT understand why Willie died. Pretty sure that ruined them.

Gone With...~ Hated it.

King Kong~ Never understood the story and I've never seen it. But don't really care...

yep. that's all.

Cassandra said...

I LOVED reading this!!! Your comments are so funny and witty!

Great post!!!

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates