Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why do We Write? *Evil Laugh*


"Some people assume that authors write books because we have vivid imaginations and want to share our vision. Other people think we write because we are bursting with and therefore must scribble those stories down in moments of propondenty. Both groups are completely wrong. Authors write books for one and only one reason. Because we like to torture people. Now actual torture in frowned upon in civilized society, fortunately the authorial community has discovered in story telling an even more powerful and fulfilling means of causing agony. We write stories, and by doing so we engage in a perfectly legal way of doing all sorts of terrible things to our readers. Take for instance, the word I used above, "propondenty", there is no such word. I made it up. Why? Because it amused me to think of thousands of readers looking up a nonsense word in their dictionaries. Authors also create wonderful loving characters, then proceed to do terrible things to them. This makes the readers feel hurt and worried for the characters. The simple truth is: authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be full of cute bunnies having birthday parties. So now you know why I would write a book. Ask yourself this: would any kindhearted individual become an author? Of course not. So there.

~Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians
By Brandon Sanderson

NOTE: I am posting this quote purely because it makes me laugh, I do not in any way agree with the statement above and I can't actually recommend this book out right. It mentions magic and can be quite silly. I enjoyed it as a light read, but I can guarantee that not everyone will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like that quote

hermitgirl said...

Yeah, that book was good for a light read. I liked the writing style though. Random things and the such. I reread that quote about 5 times and kept trying to tell Gabrielle the funny bits but whenever I did I couldn't stop laughing...

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates