Friday, May 4, 2007

Happiness

The other day whilst waiting for a VERY slow website to load, a paper on the desk caught my eye. It was a copy of an article that was posted on my dad's favorite web site; http://www.worldnetdaily.com/ last Thanksgiving. The author was talking about a poll that said that 69% of Americans say they aren't happy. The writer went on to point out how fortunate Americans are compared to the rest of the world, think of it, there is more food in our Dick's Piggy Wiggly than ALL of some poverty stricken countries. We should be thankful for what we have etc. I liked the article, it was thought provoking. Anyway, I said that whole thing just to get to the fact that reading that made me think. "Am I happy?"

Last year a group of homeschoolers, under the leadership of my mother dearest, put together a small newspaper we called The Christian Homeschool Herald. A group of boys put together a riddle section. One of the riddles said "Where can you always find Happiness?" The answer was "In the dictionary." That's not entirely true by my standards (you can only find true happiness in God) but by the world's standard, that is the only place.

In today's culture finding Happiness is the goal of everyone, although it comes in different forms; fame fortune etc. that is really what people are searching for, happiness and fulfillment. Therefore that poll reveals that almost 70% of my countrymen aren't finding what they are looking for, even though a large portion of them say they are "Christian." hmmmm...

Back to my question, "Am I Happy?" Well I'm not starving, abused, or hurt. I know lots of people who love me, I have two parents and a remarkable 8 siblings, and most importantly, I know God is my Father and he loves me.

So, YES, I am happy.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Marvelous my dear!!! Keep reminding yourself that you are happy and have a lot of things to be thankful for. :)

Good post!

Rebecca said...

sounds like a good thing to remember when you're feeling sorry for yourself. If you ever feel sorry for yourself.

Erica said...

You know what Bro. Burt has to say about the land of of-poor-me...

You have to make up your mind to be happy, and I'm glad you've done that. :) (I was a little worried there for awhile...)

I am exploding with happiness.

Erica

Lil red said...

That was great Lydia! I was blessed. Annie

Erica said...

Oooh, I just saw you were reading a Jeeves. Do you like it? I love Jeeves and Wooster. Wooster just cracks me up. We laugh so hard when I read them out loud. One of the best is Very Good, Jeeves! The Catnappers is also a favorite of mine. I think you should e-mail me and tell me what you think of them, in all your free time!

Erica

Anonymous said...

Well i have a ton to be thankful for. I was at home alone I was getting my dinner ready. When I sat down to eat and pray over the meal I started saying what I was thankful for. Even after I ws done I kept saying what I was thankful for. It even went down to the egg carton, the pancake mix box, the truck driveres who drive the stuff here, and on and on and on and on. I was even thankful for the backrest on my chair. Basiclly all the things we take for granted. :) I'd also say that I'm a pretty happy person, but don't all the people the men in white come to get happy? :)

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Actually, Debbie stole my Jeeves and Wooster boook, Erica. I haven't read much of it. But I'm sure I'll love it!!

Deborah, as I've said before, you are hilarious!!!

Lyds

P.S. Erica, whose wedding are you going to in June?

Anonymous said...

Happiness...God has given me so much of it. Sometimes I'm so happy I think I should jump off the picnic table and see if I fly. I thank him for everything he has given me...but most of all my family.

LOL, picture of the week really made me laugh...I wonder what it's like to have brothers?? Dare I ask, has a sword ever been used on YOU?? If so, what sort of deed did you commit?

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging, Lydia! It makes me think of the little 'verse' we learned a few years ago:

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a character
Sow a character, reap a destiny

So the idea is, we just need to remember to sow the thoughts of thankfulness! I've had to deal with the poor-me thoughts and it's a whole lot better to start out right in the first place! :-) I'd much rather have a bountiful harvest of the fruit of the Spirit than of weeds...

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates