Friday, May 25, 2007

"Wove, Twue Wove :-)"

My friend borrowed me a pamphlet called "Manners and Morals of Long Ago" that had this in the Courtship section of it. Make sure to read the whole letter before following the italicized instructions at the end:-)



*A Model Love Letter*


The great love I have hitherto expressed for you


is false, and I find my indifference towards you


increases daily.The more I see of you, the more


you appear in my eyes an object of contempt.



I feel myself every way disposed and determined


to hate you. Believe me , I never had an intention


to offer you my hand. Our last conversation has


left a tedious insipidity, which has by no means


given me the most exalted idea of your character.


Your temper would make me extremely unhappy;


and if we united, I shall experience everlasting nothing but


the hatred of my parents added to the everlasting dis-


pleasure in living with you. I have indeed a heart


to bestow , but I do not desire you to imagine it


at your service. I could not give any one more


inconsistent and capricious than yourself, and less


capable to do the honor to my choice and my family.



Yes, Miss, I hope that you will be persuaded that


I speak sincerely, and you will do me a favor


to avoid me . I shall excuse your taking the trouble


to answer this. Your letters are always full of


impertinence, and you have not a shadow of


wit and good sense. Adieu! adieu: believe me


so averse to you that it is impossible foe me even


to be your most affectionate and humble servant.


(Rather rude letter, don't you think? Or maybe not... if the reader will peruse this again, beginning with the first line and reading each alternate line,a different letter will be found. Enjoy:-)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear I wonder how the girl reacted who got that letter...It's pretty neat. sorry couldn't find a picture:-(
~Deb

Rebecca said...

Hah! that's hilarious!! My guess is that (hopefully) this girl knew she was supposed to red every other line??

Lil red said...

Hi Lydia,
That was great. Who ever came up with that was pretty creative. Annie :]

Anonymous said...

After reading through the second time, it sounds to me like something Abraham Lincoln would have written. Or am I way off?

Anonymous said...

hey Lydia
this is Lillie and Hannah and we just created a blog. :P check it out immediately it is basketsofroses.blogspot.com. We might need your help figuring out the blog though, :)

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

I don't know who wrote the letter, it was just in the book, I agree Annie that the writter must have been creative1 But I'm hoping it wasn't actually used for correspondence, the poor girl!!!

Erica said...

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE YOUR NEW FAVE PICTURE!!!!!!!!! I'm about to bust up laughing all over again. Poor Susie, she was sweet to bear with me as long as she did. I think she finally put the foot down about my laughing so hard behind my umbrella, though. But that was when you were trying to get your umbrella to open. The picture you put up is when I'm trying to get your attention. That was also hilarious. I'm laughing as I type this. 'Member you put "The Romance of the Forest" on the cover? Wow. I want to go down and watch the video of that play right now. I loved it. That was an awesome weekend. Wow.

Emma

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

I thought you'd like that Erica:-) That was a GREAT play, I'm planning on posting pictures of the whole thing soon (except Miss B. of course).

'Member how I put the title on the BACK cover?? That was funny, I think the book is really Heidi...

When do we get the movie of our play back?? Miss You!!

Yetta

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates