Sunday, January 13, 2008

Persuasion

If you all don't mind I'm going to review all the new Austen movies as we watch them. I shall give you my very prejudice, very altered, bias and un-studied opinion. I've always wanted to be a film critic, and now I can be:-)



I've never read the book, so this will just be my personnel opinion on the characters.


Sally Hawkins as Anne Elliot~ seemed to fit the character pretty well. Although I didn't like any of her clothes or her hair. I thought the film makers were trying to make her look un-happy and spinster-ish and very pretty at the same time. It didn't quite go together. She also was a more passionate Anne then when Amanda Root played her.



Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Fredrick Wentworth~ I admit, I really like this Wentworth, I also admit, I was never very fond of Ciran Hinds in this part. Wentworth, was much more likable, and much more convincing as a man still madly in love after all these years. You weren't really sure with Ciran Hinds until "the letter". In this version Wentworth all so shows quite a bit of remorse over the fact that he had no attentions toward any of the girls and everyone thought he did, when he realized what everyone had thought, he was remorseful, but willing to do the right thing. That instance made me like him even more than I already did, even though I wanted him to marry Anne.He smiled more too... always nice, that.


Other Random Characters~


Musgrove Family~Mary Musgrove, (Amanda Hale)was disappointing, now I know not everyone is Sophie Thompson... but Mary is such a funny character and I really think she was was dull, compared to what she could've been. All the other Musgroves were okay. Not anything big, but appropriate as they were, Charles Musgrove wasn't as likable, but you did feel sorry for him.





Elliot Family~Sir Elliot was also a character I thought could've added the humor that was lacking through out the whole film. He wasn't funny or despicable, as he should be, he was just kind of annoying. Elizabeth Elliot had no character development, so it's hard to comment on her, but the actress was too old for the part. William Elliot was one character that I did like, he was slimy and charming at the same time. You didn't like him at all, witch is as it should be. As in the old version, the screen writer failed to account that he ended up marrying Mrs. Clay, also always annoying...





Wentworth Relatives and Friend~ As a collective group they didn't get screen time, but the Admiral and Mrs. were pleasant enough, and Harville played the role of supportive and trust-worthy friend well. One if my favorite part was when Harville meet Anne, Wentworth introduced her as "Miss Elliot" Harville immediately said "Miss Anne Elliot?" and gave Wentworth "the look". Harville obviously knew about the past.





One part that bugged me was the loooong kiss at the end. No, it wasn't a long kiss exactly, it was a stare into each other's eyes for ever and veeeeeeeeeeeeeery... slooooooooowly... move forward....almost....and then.... a 2 second kiss. Just kiss her for goodness sakes!!!



That aside all together it was an enjoyable adaption, I really liked Wentworth, Harville and Elliot, but other than that, I'd stick with the characters from the 1995 version. But for an hour and a half, it was a good adaption.

Next week is Northanger Abbey, that is if the Packer game is over in time, we're all praying the Pack beats who-ever-they're-playing quickly so we don't miss a minute.

2 comments:

The Von Eight said...

Lydia, we love your film criticing!
P.S. We hope the Packers win too!

Erica said...

Listen, your team is in the postseason. I think you need to get a little more serious about this, okay?

POSTSEASON!!!!!!

The reason you don't want the Packers to go into overtime is because you want them to go ahead and win, without there being such a close chance of them losing. The reason is not because you want to watch a movie once it's over.

I'm sure Joe would agree with me...

(And too bad we don't have TV, because I really wish I could've seen Persuasion!!)

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates