Friday, July 25, 2008

I can be so Obtuse...

Camp was A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

L-I-F-E C-H-A-N-G-E-I-N-G.

Which is good, nice, good for me and everyone else.

But...

I've always said "The worst part of vacation is coming home."

I proved it today.

Note: I make calls so often at the library that it's very automatic. I can follow my train of thought without paying attention to what I'm saying.

Italics are my thoughts.

Let's see a movie for Saamia, she's a nice lady, Indian I think.

*calls number*

*gets answering machine*

"Hello, this is the Public Library..."

I should tell Molly (fellow christian librarian) about camp.

"I'm just calling to let you know you have have a movie in, we'll keep it at the library for 2 days In-"

*here my attention is suddenly wholly on my what I was about to say*

Oh my word, I was about to say In Jesus Name Amen, what on earth??? Hurry and finish*

"
Well, have a nice day, Amen."

Amen?? Amen? What on earth why did I-

*
realizes I'm still being recorded*

"
Umm.. I didn't mean that I meant to say good-bye. I'm sorry."

I am such an idiot

" I guess I'm not very good at this whole answering machine thing although I do it enough..."

Lydia, it's still recording you...

" Well Good-bye!"

*Slams phone down*

*
tells other librarian about embarrassing call*

Librarian: *laughs so hard she's cries*

Other Librarian: *laughs even harder* "You said amen?Isn't she Hindu?"

Hindu? *feels like fainting*

*calls same number again*

"Hi, this is the Library again. I'm just calling because I am aware I just left a rather odd message on your machine so I thought I'd explain myself."

Or try to...

"You see I just got back from camp, church camp, so I guess I wasn't quite in my librarian mode yet...so I don't know why I said that... so I'm just calling to apologize... I just hope you were able to laugh at it..."

And not get mad and please not get mad...

" So have a nice day! Good-bye!"

I have a feeling I just made a embarrassing situation worse. Me and my big mouth.







11 comments:

Erica said...

I needed something to make me smile, and that was perfect. You are so awesome.

Moriah A. said...

Lydia! LOL! That is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

Lydia, you are hilarious!

Lill said...

Oh my interjection! That would be so embarrassing! I’ve almost done stuff like that before.....

Anonymous said...

*Laughs* * Laughs again* etc...
*can post a comment now* That was really funny!:D I have been in situations like that before... it is really embarrassing! And I REALLY don't like to leave Messages
either!
Thanks Lydia!

Julia said...

Right now my brothers are wondering why I was suddenly bursting into hysterical laughter while sitting at the computer screen. HAHAHAHA!!! I think that's the first time in history I've ever actually LOLed. I completely sympathize with you, Lydia, I HATE leaving messages on answering machines...I feel so ridiculous. Talking to a live person I can make completely lucid and sensible remarks but when I'm just talking to empty space I lose my nerve and sound like a complete dimwit. Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes leaving messages...
Julia

Julia said...

P.S.
Welcome back from camp!

I still can't believe you called that lady back again...hee-hee!
(Sorry)

Julia

Abigail said...

Hey Lydia! Great Post! :D That was so funny!!! I've done stupid things like that before! :)
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

oh my word....that's awesome. Amen.

Valerie said...

LOL! That's hilarious! Seriously, my brother did the exact same thing once... in Jesus Name, amen. Only, it was on the phone with a live person, not a machine. He seriously wanted to die.

Lisa said...

That was ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!!!!! I am still laughing.It was the funniest thing I've heard in a month or more.

I know what you mean about answering machines.

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates