Friday, December 19, 2008

I haven't done a "Me Lately" post in... forever.

I'm Excited About.... My new laptop. Okay, so it's new to me. It was Debi's and then somebody managed to break it. Debi got a (really nice) new one and David fixed the old one so it's now mine. A certain party that we won't mention by name thinks it's junkie, but it's mine, so I love it.

I've been Writing... Pure randomness. Since I have a wonderful laptop to write on I've had the writing bug. I started a story (if you can call a page and half a start) and we'll see where it goes. I've been wondering lately if I actually am I writer. Sometime "genius burns" as Jo March says it, but most of the time I only have a few embers. I have to write sometimes to get all the pictures in my head onto paper. I do admit last night I turned my light on at midnight to write a scene down, I couldn't sleep with it running through my head.

I've been Wearing... My totally awesome monkey sock/slippers. They're like slippers but feel like a really thick sock on your foot.Sorry, no picture, the batteries in the camera are dead.

I'm Reading... The sequel to Alcatraz vs. The Evil Librarians. I can't say anything for the sequel (I'm about 30 pages in) but the first book, I can honestly say, is the funniest book I have ever read (I would say Princess Bride being a close 2nd.) I think I like the Alcatraz books because they're very much my sense of humor. Completely random. I also can not honestly call it a "wholesome" or "Christian" book. It's fantasy so there is some stuff that might be considered "magical". (They explain it as advanced technology, so there's no real magic.) I picked it up at first because I'm a librarian and it looked amusing. If you want to read a book for pure amusement's sake read Alcatraz Vs. The Evil Librarians.

I'm Watching... The Andy Griffith Show. I always forget how much I love that show. Aunt Bee is so cute, so is Opie, Barney is hilarious, and Andy is Andy.

I've Been Thinking About... My Grandpa's birthday. He's turning 70 on Christmas Eve Day (I always thought that was weird... Christmas Eve Day, kind of an oxymoron.) I got him a really nice present that I think he'll like. Hopefully, because I'm not the best present-buyer.

My Plans for This Weekend Are... Babysit tonight, go to a sledding party tomorrow afternoon, write, sleep, read, maybe go to a move...

I'm Listening to... Days Of Elijah by Twila Paris.

What I want for Christmas... These Extremely Cute Shoes.

Randomness... I wore my checkered flannel PJs until after 10 today. I was wearing them under my overalls under my big DQ sweatshirt under my jacket. Can anyone say snow storm?

Quote of the Day... "A smile cost nothing but gives much. It takes but a moment, but the memory last forever."

I'm Wondering...How I'm supposed to post, listen to some music and sing along,write, chat with Erica and read a book and do some school at the same time. Also, why am I trying to do all that at the same time? (I admit, the school is getting the least attention.)

I'm Questioning... Whether people like to read my blog or just do it out of obligation, is it interesting and fun, or just a chore?

God is... Merciful.

Life is... Busy

Children are... Adorable.

I am... Me.

7 comments:

Erica said...

I just LOVE you! That's all there is to it!

Whoever said your laptop was a junker is spot on. They know what they're talking about.

I wish my writing juices would kick in. No time for creativity. bleh.

I have been wearing my totally awesome COW slipper/sock-y-type-things!!! Maybe I'll take a picture.

Um, with your weekend plans, you forgot to add "send Erica nice long letter." Excuse me?

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I read it out of obligation. Friends have to read their friends' blogs...

Sunshine said...

I like reading your blog, and not just out of obligation. Your blogs are way more inventive then I could ever think of. And I almost always laugh.

Katie said...

Your laptop is definitely a junker, but it's still ticking, and it's like 8 years old, that really old in computer language. And umm.. somebody dropped it, really....

Sometimes I read out of obligation, cause you are my sister, mostly I read because I didn't know anything about what you are posting about...

Anonymous said...

and so lydia inherits the ol' clunker....

I mostly read for fun. For laughs :)

Incomplete said...

You have genuine talent for writing. Your writing always kills me. And that's a compliment. I wish you would do more.

Just as everyone has their own "voice" everyone has their own format in the creative process.

I've had stories that would not leave me alone, keep me up at night, fill my waking thoughts, until I got it down on paper, and once I did, that was it. It was like the storm was over just as suddenly as it had started.

I know for me, I used to do outlines, that might help you. Ten (or as many as it takes 2-200) major points in the story from start to finish. Now, I just put pen to paper and let the story take me where it will. And I know I've said this before, but you WANT to write yourself into a corner, because when you solve THAT conflict you are at your creative best.

One of my favorite books is over a thousand pages long, and it took the author 14 years to write and it is now her Opus Magnum.

So make that junker smoke!

And everyone wonders if anyone is reading their blog

Anonymous said...

I like your blog! Especially because you don't email me enough to know what you're like. :)

I just saw those shoes the other day, too! I like the olive and brown ones best. I want some... Which colors do you like?

Have you read "Color Me Beautiful"? I've been trying to determine if you're an Autumn or a Winter. I'm the former.

I really like Twila Paris. My very favorite is "For the Glory of the Lord." I couldn't find it on youtube. The harmony and melody and words of that song...! It kind of reminds me of Hitler's national anthem (or something), which is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. No kidding.

Brianna said...

Hey Lydia!
I love Andy Griffith too!! :-)
Cute post!!!

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates