Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Outfit Four: What (not) To Wear

This is what I wore today.






Or not ;-)

(April Fools!)


One of the most wonderful things about second hand shopping is the vintage finds. This particular retro top is a favorite of mine. But after I first got it I couldn't figure out how to (and how NOT to) wear it. After my failed attempts (such as the outfit above) I learned several things about wearing vintage and empire waists:

a) Do not pair long shirts with skirts. You end up looks like a shapeless blob. Pair with pants or capris.
Also, mix modern with retro, you don't want to look extremely too out-of date, but still unique and creative.


Top: Tag-less. Goodwill.

Capris: (Actually they're technically shorts, but on me they're capris :-) ) Walmart clearance


b) Wear cute shoes with vintage, they deserve it.

^cute shoes, what TO wear: Khols




^What NOT to wear: Lands End Bargain Shop
These are great shoes for hiking and such, but just not with this outfit.


c) Don't mix too many waists into a single outfit.
High Waists = Cropped Jackets

The problem the first outfit has is WAY too many waists and layers. It's confusing and does not in any way contribute to slimming the mid section.


Jacket: Lands End Bargain Shop
This is also a favorite jacket, just not with this ensemble!



So instead, put the bow in your hair, and toss the jacket, it's spring people!!! :-)




I love the dramatic flare that a fun vintage top can add to the jeans and sneakers look!



4 comments:

hi said...

Haha! This is just great! I love your (what TO wear) outfit. You are so cute. ;)

Cassandra said...

Oh! I love this top... especially with those capris!

Too cute!

Love in Christ,
Cassie

Lady Dvora said...

:( I didn't get credited for the bracelet you took from me for your shoot!

:) :)

Bets said...

Clever post and cute outfit!

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates