Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Adventures of the Big Sister

You might remember The Adventures Of The Babysitter. Our heroine completed that mission and has moved on to another, more dangerous mission and title, The Big Sister.


Ladies and Gents, I'd like to paint for a picture of words, Imagine this: It's a warm day in late spring, the first character in our sketch is Boy on Bike: Girl in stroller is also a character.

A simple walk in the rain soaked forest and passed a peaceful river they stroll. Cautiously, The Big Sister calls to the Boy on Bike to stay close and watch out for snakes, which had been sited in those parts. Without heading her calls, Boy shoots across a bridge spanning the river... practically running over a snake curled on the cement sunning it self.

Boy on Bike screams in fright, but crosses the bridge to safely. Our heroine thinks fast and calls calmly to Boy to go to the right side of the bridge and pass back to her side of the bridge as the Big Sister searches for for something with which to push the snake of the bridge.


Unfortunately, some facts slipped our heroine mind. a) There are a pair of swans in that portion of the river, b) and the female is nesting c) the male is gets annoyed when humans invade his or his mate's personnel space. d) she just told Boy to cross the bridge on the extreme right, aka, the swan's personnel territory.

A scream from Girl in Stroller alerts Big Sister to the situation, the swan (a remarkably large swan to boot) has climbed the bank and is steadily advancing toward the girl trapped in the parked stroller.

Big Sister jumps into action, with a fast summer salt (okay, maybe not..) she reaches the stroller just in time snaps the breaks off, all the while strongly advising the Boy to high-tail it out of there. Two-wheeling the stroller she starts at a run for safety, away from the swan and snake. Thankfully the snake, apparently bored by the action, had slithered off into the river, but the swan is at her heels, honking and flapping his wings in anger.

Although our heroine is running pell-mell for safety, Boy on Bike, after getting over his initial fright, thinks the situation is no longer dangerous, and is taking risks that are slightly frightening the Girl in the Stroller, who is screaming her terror at the top her lungs, all of witch is aggravating the mad swan even more and he advances on the terrified three-o.

Big Sister tries to calm the Girl and admonish the Boy at the same time while attending to her own project. Fool-hardy, you might say, but what's getting chased by a mad swan if you can't get pictures of it?
Tune in next time for the amazing conclusion to The Babysitters/Big Sisters, greatest hour yet!

12 comments:

Katie said...

Haha!!! That's great Lyd!

Lill said...

What!!!! You take picture while in frightening situations? I would be running for my life especially if I had a little person along!!!

Lady Dvora said...

YOU TOOK PICTURES!!!!

I missed that part....

You do beat all, Lyds...

Nice post!

Kristi said...

*laughs* That's a great story! The photos definitely added a greater dimension to it, too.

I don't know if I would have even thought to bring a camera on a walk with me, much less use it if I was being chased by a swan... Probably because I would have to make sure I was waddling as fast as I could, myself, seeing as I can't technically run these days.

Brianna said...

Hi! I love your story...so cute and fun to read! :-) I just found your blog through Julia's...and I love it!!
Brianna

Anonymous said...

Haha! Lydia your so much fun! I wouldn't of thought to get a picture of it either!
Great job!

Anonymous said...

*dries eyes and tries not to burst out laughing again* That was SO funny! Especially the summersault part! I just loved every minute of it!
Love you bunches!
Kourtney
P.S. try not to get chased by any killer swans in the near future :D

Julia said...

Ha-ha-ha! Lydia, you're hilarious. I love that you took a picture while running from an angry swan...I would be high-tailing it out of there! Very funny!
Julia

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely tuning in next time! And I'm amazed that big sis had the self assurance and competence *cough* to take pictures while fleeing!

The Von Eight said...

So funny! It wasn't a poisonous snake, was it?
-Hanna

Brianna said...

Hi Julia,
Hey again! Thanks for your comment! I actually didn't start Thankful Thursdays...it's Iris from "Sting My Heart" (http://www.eph2810.com/). On Thursdays (or very late on Wed.) you go to her website, scroll down to the bottom of her TT post, and add your name/website to the list. Then people can visit your blog/TT post, and you can visit other people's TT posts. It's really neat!
Brianna

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Hana: No it wasn't a poisonous snake (not that I know of...) There are only 2 kinds of poisonous snake in WI, and I don't think it was either. If it had been, I would been MUCH more scared.

Brianna: I think I'll start "Thankful Thursdays" it should be good for me to count my blessings:-)

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates