Monday, June 30, 2008

Poem Sweet Poem

We discussed this poem in my creative writing class today. At first I thought it was odd, it not rhyming and all, but after discussion it's humor appealed to me. It was written by a Doctor who wrote his poems on prescription cards (thus the rather short lines) while he waited in between his patients. I love how it has the "note stuck on the refrigerator" quality to it.


This is Just to Say


I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox



and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast.



Forgive me,

they were delicious,

so sweet

and cold.


So, what do you think? Is the speaker apologizing? Is he sorry he ate the plums? What is the poem really about? Most importantly: what type of plums??

Please comment and let me know what you think!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think he was REALLY sorry for eating the plums.. but more sarcastic about the whole thing. I think he was giving more of a "I'm sorry but they were really good" kinda approach with this situation. But I'm not totally sure exactly what he ment by all of this?? And I have no idea what kind of plums they were;)!!
It is something to think about;D
Fun post Lydia!!

Anonymous said...

Or wait! Maybe he just couldn't wait to eat the plums! He just was so tempted to eat them then..?

P.S. sorry(to comments) just some second thoughts!

Kristi said...

I don't think he was truly apologizing; it was more like, "you are going to have to forgive me. I've already done it, so there's not much else you can do. And by the way, if it helps you to know this, I really enjoyed the plums." Kind of presumptuous, maybe. But I laughed anyway cause it sounded like me when I discovered that Costco had fruit leather on sale. I bought it and told David about it afterward. (He didn't mind though!)

Dan said...

I love that poem! I think it's one of my favorites. You shouldn't think that rhymes make poetry. They don't.

Anonymous said...

Woops.
That was me, Elizabeth Keller. :) (It's July, now.)

Julia said...

Hi Lydia!

Funny poem! The guy didn't sound repentant to me...but I liked it though. YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED. (mischeivous chuckle) Find details on my blog!
Julia

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates