Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wordy Wednesday #3 As I Like It

The Bard: William Shakespeare or a poet, especially one of national importance.

Tragedy: A serious play with a tragic theme, often evolving a heroic struggle and downfall of main character.

Comedy: A play, movie or book depicting amusing events, entertainment that is amusing.

Ask anyone who knows me well, I'm really not a fan of the Bard. For history 2 years ago I had to read some Shakespeare tragedy, none of which I liked. There was King John (the first act is all about illegitimate children, ugh!!) , Antony and Cleopatra (I disliked it for obvious reasons!) and Julius Caesar("say he is sick" was the only line I truly understood in that play...) After laboring through those with much lamentation I decided I would never like the Bard, ever.


Just shows you should never generalize...


I had forgotten that Shakespeare wrote comedies, now I'm not talking about the "comedy" Romeo and Juliet, (don't ask me why two stupid people killing themselves because they think the other person is dead is supposed to be funny???? Morbid, is more a kin to it...) I mean his real comedies, Much Ado About Nothing, A Comedy of Errors, and As You Like It.


As You Like It is a story in which the whole cast is hiding from the new Duke in the forest of Arden, most don't know the others are there and all are within a days (or less even) journey of one another. The main character being Rosalind a.k.a. Ganymede (daughter of the old duke) who's pretending to be a boy to protect herself and Celia (daughter of the new duke, who happens to be her cousin). Whilst in her disguise, she's giving advice to Orlando, who is running from his brother and happens to be madly in love with Rosalind, and of course doesn't recognize her, but he leaves poems he has written to Rosalind's wonderfulness all over the forest.

So it's silly, but it's really funny. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Shakespeare, but he had some classic moments.


ROSALIND:


O, I know where you are: nay, 'tis true: there was


never any thing so sudden but the fight of two rams


and Caesar's thrasonical brag of 'I came, saw, and


overcame:' for your brother and my sister no sooner


met but they looked, no sooner looked but they


loved, no sooner loved but they sighed, no sooner

sighed but they asked one another the reason, no


sooner knew the reason but they sought the remedy;


and in these degrees have they made a pair of stairs


to marriage which they will climb incontinent, or


else be incontinent before marriage: they are in


the very wrath of love and they will together; clubs


cannot part them.


The classic example of love at first sight...Now that's comedy!

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I am reading Julius Caesar in my literature book this month. I agree with you, it is really hard to understand. I will be glad when I finish it. :)

Unknown said...

I do very much enjoy Shakespeare! He is very interesting to read. I absolutely loved A Comedy of Errors! What a wonderful story. :)
By the way, I have tagged you!

~Madison

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates