Friday, November 14, 2008

What on earth...?

The take-out box was warm against my lap.

Mom and I chatted pleasantly about nothing much in particular, Luke tested out how it felt to put his tongue in the place where one of his front teeth had been. I had plenty of unused brain to engaged in thought.

"Boy Lyd, what's with your blog, you try to post once a day for a month and all you come up with is "I'm glad it's half-way through November." Where is your old creativity????

I was slightly ticked at myself.

I vaguely noticed two squad cars at the stop light as we turned toward home.

"Somebody's in trouble..."

Mom turned into our neighborhood, as in the flash of the headlights I caught a glimpse of two beads of lights about 4 feet off the ground-

"MOM STOP!!!" I cried.

I lurched forward against the dashboard, the car squealed to a stop.

Silence reigned as we stared at the road in front of us.

"Mom..." Luke sounded uncertain. "That's a cow?"

Cow? More like cows. A whole heard of them. In the middle of the street. Blocking the road home.

We were a bit shocked.

It was past sunset but suddenly the night was filled with flashing lights and loud voices.

The police had arrived to do what they do.

Ensure public safety and apprehend ummm... criminals.

Rather than handcuffs and guns these umm... criminals, were controlled by the good ol' arm waving, flashlight chasing and "GET GOING!! SHOO!!"

Recovering my surprise I glanced at Mom.

She was practically chocking with laughter.

"That's not funny." She said.

"But it really is!" we said at the same time, smiling ourselves silly.

"That's not something you see everyday." I pointed out.

"That's not something you'd see any day." Mom countered.

As we drove home in the cleared street I made a mental note. "That was something to post about."

Join the P___ Police Department!!
Stop criminals, do public service!
and maybe even herd cattle!!

5 comments:

hermitgirl said...

Cows. Wow. Definitely not something you see every day.

Unknown said...

Wow!! That IS funny! Hehehehehehe. :P That is DEFINITELY not something you see on a day-to-day basis. :P

~Madison

Anonymous said...

Four feet off the ground??!?!? That's a pretty short cow.... ;)
Great writing Lydia! I was totally on the edge of my seat in the good way! :) And cows in the city are definitely something to post about. Very fun post!

Anonymous said...

With all the experience you've had at our house, I'm surprised you didn't jump out and help them! :)

Kristi said...

hahahahaha! There you have it folks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it... What is different about small midwest towns? I think you have painted a wonderfully accurate picture! Loved it!

We have a similar story here: a deer broke through a downtown business' front window a couple of years ago. David can tell you the whole story.

Quotes

 

Quite Speechless | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates